On the Go: Transportation Solutions for Older Adults
Jewish Family Service of San Diego
Zip Codes: 91941, 91942, 92006, 92007, 92014, 92024, 92025, 92029, 92037, 92064, 92067, 92075, 92091, 92103, 92108, 92109, 92110, 92111, 92115, 92116, 92117, 92119, 92120, 92121, 92122, 92123, 92124, 92126, 92127, 92128, 92129, 92130, 92131
(858) 637-7320 • www.jfssd.org/onthego
On the Go is more than a ride—it’s independence, community connection, mobility, and dignity. On the Go consists of five components:
• On the Go Rides & Smiles® – Volunteer drivers provide individual transportation to medical and personal appointments, synagogues, and the Lawrence Family Jewish Community Center
• On the Go Shuttles – Group transportation to JFS Social & Wellness Centers, religious events, shopping centers, lunch destinations, and other cultural outings and events
• On the Go Excursions – Exciting, organized outings to locations throughout San Diego County and surrounding areas
• On the Go Navigator – Connects riders with affordable, on-demand transportation anywhere in San Diego County, utilizing ride-sharing services like Lyft and Uber.
• On the Go Silver – Accommodates individual riders for personal errands and large groups for customized outings
Rides & Smiles®
Since 2004, the award-winning Rides & Smiles® program has provided transportation for older adults to medical appointments, personal appointments, pharmacies, banks, and other life necessities.
“My car is sitting idle in the garage. It has 54,000 miles on it but when my license expired, the doctor would not sign the release to renew it. I can’t drive it and with my daughter moving to Seattle I didn’t know what to do. Luckily she found this program and I can’t believe people are willing to take time out of their day to help me…”
Rides are provided by caring volunteers who donate their time to provide this valuable service and allow older adults to maintain their independence. It is the largest volunteer-based transportation service in San Diego County—providing more than 2,300 rides by more than 200 volunteer drivers each month.
Volunteer drivers provide curb-to-curb service to:
- Non-emergency medical appointments
- Hair Salons
- Visiting friends and loved ones in hospitals
- Volunteer opportunities
- Social activities
And much more…
Rides are provided for a donation depending on the distance of the ride. Rides must be reserved at least one week in advance. Requests made sufficiently in advance are more likely to be matched with a volunteer driver. Rides can be requested up to the end of the next calendar month.